Information Technology Executive
- Information technology executive with proven track record establishing IT strategy, translating strategy into action, and leading cross functional teams to deliver measurable business results.
- Over 25+ years of progressive experience with a strong background in strategic planning, IT portfolio management and vendor management.
- Accomplished business leader reputable for building and developing high-performing teams and creating "win-win" relationship with internal customers and external partners.
- Recognized thought leader in the field of IT governance and a noted speaker in the areas of project management and oversight.
iManagement Consulting LLC • 2016 - present
Owner / Principal Consultant
- Providing fact-based consulting services through thoughtful consideration of our client's unique organizational footprint and tailoring risk-informed solutions specifically right-sized for our clients.
- Some of our services include: Application Rationalization, Business Alignment, Cloud Strategy, Change Management, Data Center Strategy, Demand Management, IT Governance, IT Outsourcing, IT Optimization, IT Organizational Design, IT Service Management and IT Strategy.
Renewable Water Resources (ReWa) • 2017 – 2021
Director of Information Technology
- Initially, as an iMC consultant, provided ReWa with an “IT Risk Assessment” and roadmap which led to 6 months of full-time consulting. Appointment to the Director of IT position followed.
- Renovated ReWa’s 80’s IT culture through multiple transformational initiatives; resulted in millions of dollars of savings, a secure IT infrastructure, and significant improvement to the availability and reliability of ReWa's business systems.
- $1.7 million ROI by reducing travel costs and lost productive time through virtual collaboration
- $817,000 ROI from database server and licensing cost consolidation
- $195,000 ROI by reducing manhole inspection times from 75 to 8.7 minutes or $55 to $6.38 per inspection through the adoption of existing technology
- $91,000 ROI (annual) in telecom and cellular cost reductions through telecom modernization
- Seamlessly transitioned the organization to remote work, practically overnight, due to the COVID crisis, resulting in $169,000 of weekly value generation by remote workforce which would have otherwise been lost
- Developed a high-performing team and guided ReWa’s IT professionals to execute a strategy focused on core technology fundamentals:
- Migrated ReWa’s hardware and software assets onto manufacturer supported levels (i.e. network, servers, databases, end-user devices, etc.)
- Secured the environment (i.e. network segmentation, next-gen virus/malware/ransomware protection, content filtering, VPN, RDP, MFA, etc.)
- Provided technology enablers (i.e. endpoint collaboration devices, Office 365, etc.)
KPMG LLP • 2015 - 2016
- Provided prescriptive playbook to regional bank experiencing failure in multiple transformational initiatives, costing the organization millions in lost revenue
- Performed IT Risk Assessment for major health insurance corporation with one billion in annual IT spend
- Assessed technology process, people and infrastructure risks associated with a major line of business for a nationally recognized conglomerate
- Validated IT incident and root cause processes at the request of the Board of a United States government sponsored bank
- Performed current state operational review for telecom provider with international presence
- Consulted government financial regulatory agency regarding significant IT related procurement
Florida Department of Children and Families • 2011 - 2015
Director of IT Planning and Administration
- Responsible for developing the 3 year forward looking strategy for Florida's child welfare system (FSFN), the business case and legislative budget requests
- Responsible for IT planning, procurement, 267 human resources and $60+ million dollar IT budget
- Streamlined IT talent classifications and enhanced the approach to IT performance management thereby paving the way for human capital capacity planning
- Improved IT budget / expenditure reporting and refined the IT contract renewal process
- Responsible for planning a 6,000 machine statewide PC refresh to effectively eliminate the end-of-life XP operating system from the agency's PC assets, resulting in an additional $700,000 in cost savings over previously negotiated state hardware rates.
- Facilitated the implementation of initiative reporting to agency executive leadership for the CFO Group, Human Resources, Contract Services, General Services and Information Technology
Director of Data Center and Third-Party Sourcing
- Managed the $20+ million services relationship with the state’s primary data center and had jurisdiction over the renegotiation of the Service Level Agreement (SLA).
- Served as a member of the Northwood Shared Resource Center (NSRC) board.
- Actively engaged in the negotiation and selection of large IT contracts.
- Transformed DCF’s statewide service desk to a service driven model while replacing aging hardware, software and help desk processes, handling nearly 20,000 tickets per month
- Designed and implemented the agencies first CMDB, successfully documenting the agency's service, application, server, database portfolio and their inherent CI relationships
Florida Agency for Workforce Innovation • 2008 - 2011
Strategic Planning and Project Portfolio Oversight
- Oversaw a portfolio of enterprise-wide IT projects, including the Independent Validation and Verification (IV&V) of two of the largest IT modernization projects currently underway within Florida state government.
- Had direct responsibility over standardization of agency’s IT project management framework and project status reporting.
- Actively engaged in the negotiation and selection of large IT contracts and the negotiation of Service Level Agreements (SLA) with one of the state's primary data centers.
- Led the strategic IT planning efforts for the agency, which documented the long-term IT needs of the agency’s three diverse program areas. Aligned the agency’s IT priorities to applicable legislation.
- Led the alignment of services with business objectives by developing a federated repository of information related to IT systems and assets. The result of this effort was the establishment of a configuration management database (CMDB) which greatly improved the IT risk posture of the agency.
- Oversaw the revision of an independent feasibility study to determine the benefits of modernizing the Unemployment Compensation Claim and Benefits System which established the business case for this $68 million project, currently in its third year
- Accountable for scope, budget and schedule changes as a member of the Project Steering Committee for the Early Learning Information Systems (ELIS) project. Served in executive leadership capacity to resolve escalated issues for this $23 million system replacement. As a member of the Steering Committee, accepted phase gate deliverables and payment milestones.
Advanced Systems Design, Inc. • 2006 - 2008
Project Portfolio Oversight
- Rescued $5 million in revenue from a troubled system redesign project for the Alabama Department of Corrections by communicating directly with client leadership to communicate project strategy, direction and changes.
- Guided the Advanced Systems Design (ASD) project management team and governed the portfolio of ASD projects.
- Managed the company’s more complex and impactful programs, ensuring integration of projects and adjusting scope, timing and budgets as needed, based on business needs.
- Coached, developed and mentored staff. Was responsible for assessing the skill levels of ASD personnel as well as recommending career development paths to ensure the marketability of ASD Project Management resources.
Florida Agency for Workforce Innovation • 2004 - 2006
Director, Information Technology Project Management
- Recruited to take the reins of this troubled project with a one-month window to show positive results. Once the project was successfully rescued, continued to serve as the project director for the remainder of the systems development life cycle.
- Successfully implemented a $16 million web application project known as the One Stop Management Information System (OSMIS), designed to meet the mandates of the Workforce Investment Act (WIA).
- Facilitated the negotiation of scope and contract issues between the agency and vendor. Successfully navigated the project to a “win-win” conclusion.
Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development • 1999 - 2004
- Responsible for all aspects of IT operations including help desk, desktop support, operations and application development supporting over 2,500 end users.
- Supervised over 25 full-time employees and 12 contract staff. Directly supervised a team of IT managers representing each functional area of the information technology department.
- Successfully managed a portfolio of multi-million dollar projects including an $8 million web application project that underwent an unexpected change in project leadership under difficult circumstances.
National Community Foundation • 1998 - 1999
Information Systems Director
- Developed and managed a corporate network for a local estate planning and property management firm.
- Provided technology support to the company’s employees and partners and maintained the organization’s sales database and public-facing infrastructure.
SC Carolina CIO Award 2018
The award recognizes South Carolina-based CIOs, CISOs, CTOs, VPs of Information Technology, IT Directors, etc. who have demonstrated the following key characteristics: Ability to work productively with business partners, alignment of technology direction with the company's strategy, innovation either internally or in the form of new products or services, growth in their information technology team, demonstration of strong leadership and involvement in their community.
KPMG’s Standing Ovation Award 2015
“We sincerely appreciate your contributions and commitment to helping our firm be successful. Your efforts exemplify the values that define our high-performance culture.”
Education / Certification
George Washington University School of Business
Coursework through State of Florida
Bob Jones University
Certified Project Management Professional (PMP)
Project Management Institute, #416511
Lean Six Sigma Black Belt
Six Sigma Global Institute (#10383815)
ITIL Foundation Certificate, itSMT
Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL), #684006